Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Leviticus 9:12-17

12.
Then he slaughtered the burnt offering ; and Aaron's sons handed the blood to him and he sprinkled it around on the altar.
13.
They handed the burnt offering to him in pieces, with the head, and he offered them up in smoke on the altar.
14.
He also washed the entrails and the legs, and offered them up in smoke with the burnt offering on the altar.
15.
Then he presented the people's offering, and took the goat of the sin offering which was for the people, and slaughtered it and offered it for sin, like the first.
16.
He also presented the burnt offering, and offered it according to the ordinance.
17.
Next he presented the grain offering, and filled his hand with some of it and offered it up in smoke on the altar, besides the burnt offering of the morning.


What struck me about this set of chapters and this passage was that most of what was sacrificed to the Lord was completely burnt up, whether it was animal innards, animal flesh, or bread. Even though I know in my head that these sacrifices were for the Lord, they seem wasteful to me! I remember reading sometime this semester reading that some people say our church buildings no longer need to be elaborate and expensive because the Holy Spirit now dwells in believers, rather than in a building (the tabernacle). I can relate to that way of thinking, only my mind is even more practical. It seems wasteful to me to spend a lot of money on elaborate church buildings and decorations when the money could go towards missions or assisting the needy. I know I’ve thought to myself, “Why does our church need to spend money on new decorations every week?” However, from this passage I learned that God does not see sacrifices as wasteful. He is deserving of having my possessions pledged solely to Him for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment