Sunday, May 1, 2011

God is Working

Eek!  In only 20 days from today, I will be spending my first day in Uganda!  The spring has sped by, and now there are only two and a half weeks left before my departure date.  I am now in the midst of shopping for travel necessities, packing, and praying for peace in Uganda.
I want to share with you how God has been working and providing for The Galileo School and for this trip over the past few months. 
A couple months ago, Scott Noel (the director of The Galileo School) asked me to check out a medical supply company called MedShare.  I researched the company and found out about the really cool mission they have!  MedShare collects surplus medical supplies that would otherwise become trash.  They collect and process supply donations from hospital systems and medical manufacturers.  MedShare then ships 40 foot medical containers to clinics and hospitals in countries where supplies are desperately needed.  They also provide smaller donations for short term medical mission trips…that’s us!  So I went through the application process The Galileo School was approved for a donation!  We received a 100 pound donation (about 2 suitcases worth) of dressing supplies, bandaids, thermometers, gloves, and other items.  We will use these items in medical clinics in several towns in Northern Uganda.  Thank you MedShare! 
On top of the medical supplies, Scott and Georgianna also received a donation of medicines such as ibuprofen, Tylenol, allergy medicine, and vitamins.  Another couple who will be going on the trip, Nick and Jaklin, ran a school supply drive at SMU and collected crayons, notebooks, and other supplies to take to the children attending the Galileo School in Bul Kur.  God is providing!
We have another fundraising opportunity this week.  If you know my family, you know how I was brought up to love playing board games.  Well, those games are going to be put to good use this Friday night!  I am hosting a game night with my church group.  It’s a social event with purpose: instead of going out and spending money on dinner and a movie or concert, come have fun with friends and donate whatever you would have spent to The Galileo School!  I would appreciate your prayers for this event.
God has also provided time and wisdom in planning for the medical component of our trip.  Last week I took a day off and got to spend it forming a medical lesson plan.  We’re going to have the opportunity to do some health teaching with the people in Bul Kur and Apac.  I have a very helpful book called Where There Is No Doctor, written specifically for health workers in remote villages.  We will be teaching on topics such as germs (what are they, how do they affect us), personal hygiene, clean water, latrines, and HIV.  Thank you for praying for me as I worked on this lesson plan.  Please continue to pray that we would be able to communicate in a way that the people of Uganda would understand.  Pray that the information we share would be useful and health would improve because of what we taught.

1 comment: