Saturday, May 7, 2011

Video Links

A couple posts back, I told you that when I decided to go on this trip to Uganda, I realized that I didn’t know a lot about the history of Africa.  Reluctantly, I must admit that I am only slightly more familiar with the current events of the past few years. 

What better place to get your education than YouTube, right?  As I was preparing, I watched several videos on YouTube that helped me understand the situation in Uganda and what the people there have been experiencing. 
I have posted the links below, with a short description of each.  I want to let you know that watching these particular videos will not be easy.  They will break your heart and make you want to cry (and maybe want to vomit- they are graphic).  Why would I post this harsh material for you to view?  I want to recommend that you watch these videos because I think it’s important for us to know what is going on around the world outside of North America.  I also think it’s helpful to know what our brothers and sisters in Christ are experiencing every day.  How can we pray for them and actively help change their living conditions if we don’t know about them?
1. War Dance
War Dance is a feature-length documentary about a group of school children from the Patongo displacement camp in Northern Uganda.  The film documents their journey to compete in a national music festival- I absolutely loved the music in this film!  You can watch it in 10 parts on YouTube.  This film contains interviews with children who share graphic stories.
2. Uganda Rising
Uganda Rising is a documentary about the sufferings of the Acholi people during the guerilla war with the Lord’s Resistance Army in Northern Uganda.  You can watch it in 9 parts on YouTube.  This documentary is the most graphic one I watched- it contains interviews with graphic descriptions of events as well as graphic images.
3. Invisible Children
This is a home-grown documentary made by the men who founded Invisible Children.  You can watch it in 6 parts on YouTube.  This was probably the least graphic video I watched, but still contains very hard material.  This is probably the most fun to watch, because it’s about regular people like you and me who didn’t know what they were doing, but went to Africa, saw a problem, and did something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment