Thursday, April 15, 2010

Psalm 113:5-9

5.Who is like the LORD our God, Who is enthroned on high,
6.Who humbles Himself to behold The things that are in heaven and in the earth ?
7.He raises the poor from the dust And lifts the needy from the ash heap,
8.To make them sit with princes, With the princes of His people.
9.He makes the barren woman abide in the house As a joyful mother of children. Praise the LORD !

I’ve been struggling lately with contentment. Specifically, my struggle has been between my desires and God’s will. If I have desires that God has not fulfilled, what do I do with that? Do I give up my desires? Do I continue to hold onto my desires, knowing that there is a possibility they will never be fulfilled? Both options sound bad; and, if I’m honest, I’m not willing to do either one.

So I was expressing these thoughts to my best girlfriends last night (what a special gift God gives us in good friends!). Their thoughts on the matter where that neither option is quite right. They said they see me as having a desire and a gift, and both are from God. They feel confident that God will fulfill this desire. What I really like is that they encouraged me to trust God. He has promised to satisfy the desires of my heart, and God is trustworthy to fulfill His promises.

I can see this happening in Psalm 113. God, in His great love, looks down on a poor and needy man and a barren woman. He knows their needs, He knows their desires, and He knows how He has made them. And even though for a time they had to live on an ash heap, or in a state of silence and sadness without children, God saw them. He not only saw, He fulfilled all their needs and desires. Best of all, God has met our greatest need and desire by giving us Himself. He is trustworthy and worthy of praise.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Katie. God is so good to direct us into His Peace & Love. Glad to hear your thoughts and that your heart is at rest right now as you bask in the Lord's promises. Delight thyself...and He WILL give you the desires of your heart. Now that's a sure promise.

    Hugs,

    Gail

    ReplyDelete