Thursday, April 22, 2010

Romans 4:16-21

16.For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,
17.(as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.
18.In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, "SO SHALL YOUR DESCENDANTS BE."
19.Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb ;
20.yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God,
21.and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

I like it when I find phrases in the Bible that seems to refer to me specifically. I think the phrase in 4:16 that says “those who are of the faith of Abraham” refers to me. That is, me and all those like me who have received the grace of God to believe Him for salvation. This verse is saying that I am included in God’s plan of salvation. I am a spiritual child of Abraham! Although I am not of Israel, God’s special chosen nation, He has made me a descendant of Abraham. God gave Abraham the great promise of life in Him through faith, and by grace He gives life to those who believe Him like Abraham did. God “calls into being that which did not exist”- our faith, and thereby our relationship to Abraham and to God.

Abraham’s example of faith is amazing. I am not sure I could have believed like He did. With no prior knowledge of God (such as we have in the Scriptures and in our daily lives), Abraham believed God enough to leave everything he knew for an unknown land. He believed that God would give him a son and make him the father of many nations even though he was an old man. God did give Abraham a son, which is all to His glory since Abraham and Sarah were too old to bear children. God also made Abraham the father of many nations, both physical and spiritually descended.

As a spiritual descendant of Abraham, I hope that my faith will grow to be like his. I want to hope against hope even when circumstances seem impossible. I want to grow strong in faith and give glory to God because He does fulfill His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment