Monday, April 26, 2010

Romans 9:19-21

19.You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault ? For who resists His will ?"
20.On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God ? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?
21.Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use ?

I feel I must be very careful with chapter 9 of Romans. There are some really difficult concepts about God in this passage. Does God really harden people’s hearts? Did He really hate Esau before he had even been born and had a chance to do anything? Does He create people for destruction? This chapter brings up a lot of questions for me. One of the questions that seems most pertinent to my life right now come from verses 19-21. When I read this and picture the potter and the clay, I have to wonder if Paul is being sarcastic. Of course a clay pot is not going to ask its molder why he made it like he did. But I would guess that just about every human being is going to ask God, “Why did You make me like this?” Why did You make me with this particular flaw? Why did you make me with this desire when it seems that You don’t want to fulfill it? Why didn’t You give me such-and-such quality? I certainly ask these questions. Would Paul be astonished at me?

I know that some of the source of these questions is the habit of comparison and the lack of contentment. I believe that part of the lesson Paul is teaching through this chapter is that we need to learn to trust God. His ways are not always my ways, and He may not always make sense to me. I may not always understand why He made me like He did. But God is always good, and His ways are always good. The way He made me is good. I need to learn to trust in Him. I am not a perfect vessel, but nevertheless, He knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment