Monday, April 12, 2010

Psalm 94:17-19

17.If the LORD had not been my help, My soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence.
18.If I should say, "My foot has slipped," Your lovingkindness, O LORD, will hold me up.
19.When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.

When I read verse 18 of Psalm 94, it reminded me of a recent conversation with a good friend of mine. As we updated each other on what has been going on in our lives, she told me that she has been struggling lately because her parents say they are no longer Christians. They believe in a god…of some kind…but no longer believe in Christ. Now these are conservative, good people who raised their children to love Jesus, so this news was quite a shock to me. It also makes my theology class discussions about eternal security seem terribly relevant.

These verses comfort me as I think about these people who have essentially turned their backs on Christ. They are also relevant to my life, and, I would think, the life of every believer at times. My foot may slip, death may come near, and my anxious thoughts will undoubtedly multiply. I think every believer experiences this. But the beauty and comfort of these verses is that God remains. He is my help, His lovingkindness holds me up, and His consolations delight my soul. He is faithful. He does not let go. These verses remind me of the rich contrast in Ephesians 2:4, “BUT GOD.” We are weak and fallen, but He is rich in mercy and great in love.

So I have confidence that God is holding on to my friend’s parents and that He will remain faithful to them. I pray that they will not wander long so they will not miss much of the sweet fellowship with Jesus, the only consolation which can delight their souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment